Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
The NAAE Board of Directors conducted a board meeting on December 1 and 2, 2000 at the Holiday Inn on the Bay in San Diego, California. Members of the board and others who were present for the meeting included: Mike Cox (VA), President; Paul Jaure (TX), President Elect; Sue Poland (ID), Region I Vice President; James Dawley (TX), Region II Vice President; Chuck Stranberg (MN), Region III Vice President; Bryan Gause (IN), Region IV Vice President; Roger Teeple (NC), Region V Vice President; Larry Long (OK), Region II Alternate Vice President; Barb Osborn (IA), Region III Alternate Vice President; Jeff Maierhofer (IL), Region IV Alternate Vice President; Robin McLean (NJ), Region VI Alternate Vice President; Tonia Dousay (TX), NAAE Communications Intern; and Jay Jackman (VA), NAAE Executive Director. Sarah Osborn Welty (MD), Region VI Vice President, was detained due to the unexpected death of a family friend; she arrived at the convention mid-afternoon on Saturday, December 2.
The minutes of the meeting are as follows:
Friday, December 1, 20001. Welcome and Board Member Updates—President Mike Cox called the meeting to order at 6:27 p.m. on Friday, December 1, 2000 and welcomed everyone to the meeting. President Cox asked all in attendance to introduce themselves. He introduced Tonia Dousay. He also explained that a tragedy had befallen Sarah Osborn Welty and her family and explained that Sarah would arrive at the convention a little later than she had planned.
Mike challenged all in attendance to write down five things that would make this a great convention. Then, each member mentioned one item each around the table until all independent ideas were presented. Ideas presented included:
2. Adjustments to and Approval of the Agenda—James Dawley moved, Roger Teeple seconded, to adopt the board meeting agenda with flexibility to change as necessary. The motion carried.
3. Approval of Minutes of September 22, 2000 and September 25, 2000 Board Conference Calls—Chuck Stranberg moved, Bryan Gause seconded, to approve the minutes from the September 22, 2000 and September 25, 2000 NAAE Board of Directors conference calls. The motion carried.
4. Membership Report and Delegate Counts—Jay Jackman presented this report, which was included in the board books. It was noted that active membership was up for the 1999-2000 year, although total membership decreased slightly. The decrease was in student members. It was also agreed that delegate cards would be distributed in the regional meeting.5. NAAE Finances—Jay Jackman presented a financial report that centered on the 1999-2000 NAAE Audit Report. Jackman also discussed the current problems with the NAAE retirement plan brought about by recent changes in federal pension law. Bryan Gause moved, Roger Teeple seconded, to fix the NAAE retirement plan by closing the SAR-SEP plan and opening a new 401-k plan while maintaining current policies regarding the employee retirement plan. The motion carried.
6. Region VI Temporary Vice President—In accordance with NAAE policies and bylaws, in Sarah Osborn Welty’s temporary absence, Sue Poland moved, Chuck Stranberg seconded, to authorize Robin McLean to represent NAAE Region VI in all board proceedings, effective until Sarah arrives at this convention. The motion carried.7. NAAE Board Representative Positions—Region II Teacher USDE Representative to the National FFA Board of Directors. Five candidates were presented to the board from Region II for this position including: Benny Bell (LA), Lacho Garza (TX), Ray Rabroker (TX), Kyle Sanders (AR) and Danny Sterling (OK). The board reviewed the credentials prepared and submitted by each of these candidates. Mike Cox called for a ballot vote. The three candidates receiving the most votes that NAAE will forward on to Dr. Larry Case are Danny Sterling (OK), Lacho Garza (TX), and Ray Rabroker (TX).
8. Review of 2000 National FFA Convention—Discussion regarding the 2000 FFA Convention included the following:
9. February National Ag Ed Inservice and Summit—Jay Jackman provided all board members with the registration forms for the inservice and summit scheduled to be in Indianapolis, Indiana during February 8-10, 2001. The possibility of holding the spring NAAE board meeting in conjunction with the inservice meeting was discussed. The possibility of conducting board committee meetings by telephone prior to the board meeting was also discussed. Jackman requested that the registration forms be completed and turned in to him during this convention.
10. Executive Director’s Evaluation—Sue Poland moved, Chuck Stranberg seconded, that Mike Cox coordinate the evaluation of the NAAE Executive Director. The motion carried.
At 9:03 p.m., President Mike Cox declared the board meeting in recess until the next morning (December 2, 2000) at 9:00 a.m.
Saturday, December 2, 2000
1. Call to Order—President Mike Cox called the meeting to order at 9:10 a.m. on Saturday, December 2, 2000 and welcomed everyone to the meeting.2. NAAE Board Representative Positions—Postsecondary Position on the National Council for Agricultural Education Board. Four candidates were presented to the board for this position including: Rolf Mahlberg (MN), Ted Mottaz (IL), Ronald Pulse (WY), and Brad Schloesser (MN). The board reviewed the credentials prepared and submitted by each of these candidates. Mike Cox called for a ballot vote. The candidate receiving the most votes that NAAE will forward on to Mr. Chuck Miller, ACTE Ag Ed Division Vice President, is Ted Mottaz (IL).
3. Report on 2001 NAAE Convention—Jay Jackman reported that a contract has been secured with the Hotel Monteleone in New Orleans for the 2001 NAAE Convention. The sleeping room rate will be $125 per room night plus taxes. The meeting room facilities will be somewhat tight (similar to the accommodations at the Holiday Inn on the Bay in San Diego for the 2000 convention). The hotel is located in the French Quarter near the Marriott, which may be the ACTE Ag Ed Division headquarters hotel.
4. Review of the 2000 NAAE Convention—The board went through all of the details of the convention schedule, including the following:
5. Nominating Committee Report—Roger Teeple nominated Paul Jaure for 2000-01 NAAE President. By unanimous ballot, Mike Cox declared nominations ceased and congratulated Paul Jaure on becoming the official board nominee for 2000-01 NAAE President.
Bryan Gause nominated James Dawley for 2000-01 NAAE President Elect. James Dawley nominated Bryan Gause for 2000-01 NAAE President Elect. By unanimous ballot, Mike Cox declared nominations ceased and congratulated James Dawley and Bryan Gause on becoming the official board nominees for 2000-01 NAAE President Elect.
6. Adjournment—With no further business to transact at this time, President Cox adjourned the board meeting at 12:15 p.m.